"The more you do the more you can do."

Monday, August 2, 2010

That Extra Umph...

Once again the Speedgoat 50K threw a curve ball at me, but this time I was not defeated. You have to take someone like Karl Meltzer serious when he says that the race he is putting on is the toughest 50K in the country. I did not with my first attempt at the Speedgoat and paid dearly at mile 21 where I tucked my tail between my legs and called it a day. For two years I thought about what went wrong that day and my conclusion: to hard to early, not enough fuel, not enough fluids, and finally to hard on the downhill (all the no brainer mistakes for a seasoned trail runner). So I came prepared this year and it did pay off (literally, I received $500 for first place!!). However there was one slight "uh oh" that could have been detrimental if Karl were not such an awesome guy and Nick Pedatella had not been there to keep me motivated.

After pacing myself on the initial, heinous climb up to Hidden Peak and Mount Baldy I readied myself for the brutal downhill to Dutch Flat that outright destroyed me on my prior attempt. This year I came with stronger legs and a more sensible, relaxed approach that would have worked marvelously had myself and Nick not taken a wrong turn. Long story made short is our route to Dutch Flat was opposite of what we should have done, yet I believe the same distance. However, because of our carelessness we were asked to complete 3 penalty miles at Dutch Flat that dropped my position from sixth overall and first female to ~20th overall and second female. Despite the extra miles I felt peppy climbing out of Dutch Flat with Nick (fresh off a stellar Hardrock performance) by my side encouraging me and chose to see how hard I could push until I regained my lead. That I did at about mile 19 (22 for me). From there I went into survival mode and continue to choke down the fuel and fluids. I may never eat another Fig Newton in my life, but they did the trick. Thinking I was home free and able to coast in on the final 5 mile descent, I relaxed a bit and prepared myself for the rocky beating to the finish. Thankfully, I took on last glimpse above me as I entered the trees and saw Becky Wheeler (2nd place) a mere 3 switchbacks behind me. I dug deep one last time and hammered the downhill into the finish for the win, 35 miles and 6:34.

Word on the street is that Karl adjusted Nick and my times to reflect what he thought was fair. This puts me in 5th overall and 6:10, first female.

What can I say... this is an amazing race, and amazing people running it and in it! I love the trail running community, a great group of hardy souls with smiles across their sweaty, dusty faces. I can only speak for myself, but I do it to see what can be done. Just when you think you can go no more you find that extra drive that in the end provides a sense of accomplishment that can come from nothing else. Can't wait for PIKES!

1 comment:

Andrew Bliss said...

What a great story and victory Keri! Congrats!